Sunday, February 21, 2016

American Traveler or American Tourist - Who Are You?

For those who don't travel much, there's a distinction between the American traveler and the American tourist. You can see the tourist from a mile away. They are the ones who clearly doesn't fit into the culture, the people, their surroundings... and they don't care to. Americans, well known across the world for being loud, our unmannerly ways and generally going without much style are especially obvious when dressed as the tourist: in their college sweatshirts, flowered prints, or wearing their American flag, sporting their ball cap or their sneakers with white socks (when they clearly are not planning to exercise) and the girls... American girls seem to wear a uniform: jeans or pants that are not pants (leggings), a long blouse and tall boots. You might see girls in Europe dressed similarly but, trust me, they are not dressed the same.

If you're dressed like these folks while you're overseas, you're doing it wrong.
(J-Nellie, cc by, via flickr)
Now, there's nothing wrong with school pride. There's nothing wrong with American pride. But do you have to be so prideful, you wear it like a walking billboard in other countries? Our lack of fashion sense is no surprise to non-Americans (though many will give a nod and a pass to those coming from New York, as they see the effort - and New York fashion sometimes even works well in other parts of the world). But for those of us from Texas or California, decked out in our t-shirts and jeans? We just look like we left grade school and never learned how to dress as an adult. Truth, my friends. Truth. You don't have to like it. That's just how the rest of the world thinks.

Anyone can take pictures. But, brightly colored hats
 and jackets will give you away as an American, too.
At best, they may take you for a Brit at first.
(Li Galo) 
Those in Europe are generally too respectful to tell any of this to your face. They will be kind to you and treat you well, while later shaking their heads at your super-positivism and fierce ability to clap and cheer all time. Or, they'll tell jokes (after you've left) about how you behaved at the dinner table or how loud you were, quietly chuckling over dinner about their quaint story of you. You'll become a funny antidote they pull our for their friends at meal time. Then, they'll wave it way,as they carry on to new topics... "Americans."

Black, grey, browns, dark blues... The standard winter colors of Europe.
I had someone come up to me in Switzerland shortly after this picture was
 taken and start speaking to me in Swiss German. Didn't they notice the pink?
(Li Galo)
Having now lived in Italy and visited nearby countries, I must have at some point made the cross over from tourist to traveler because now, whenever I travel, people stop me and think I'm one of them. They'll speak to me in French or Italian asking for directions or whatnot without skipping a beat, and then appear quite surprised when I respond (in their language, of course), "I'm sorry. I don't know. I'm an American." Apparently, I now do what travelers do... I fit in. I fit in with my clothes, my walk, my expressions and my presentation.

Generally, I am taken for a resident of Europe every couple of days. At this point, it doesn't even matter which country I'm in. Although every country in Europe has it's own culture, distinct flavor and slight difference in clothing style, there is commonality in behavior. So, if you're close to the style and you have the mannerisms down, they'll just think you're one of them. The skill of fitting in has its advantages, if Americans are traveling in regions where they are possible terrorist targets and want to stay low on the radar. I have generally gotten away as appearing as a Filipina in the Middle East and most people in Western Europe take me for an Italian... that is, until I speak. So, if you're trying to be inconspicuous, look the part, walk the walk and keep quiet until you're in a safer place.

Not including dangerous areas where Americans could be in danger, when you travel to some places outside the US, and folks find out you're an American, they are already so overrun with American tourists, on the E.S.P. level, you can hear their mind saying, "Go home, please." But, in areas that aren't overrun by our folks sporting loud shirts, smiling brightly at everyone and laughing just a little too loudly, the folks are fairly curious about Americans. Some are intrigued enough to ask many questions. Where should they visit in the US? What should they see? Where am I from? I wasn't actually raised where I live? How novel! Then, you (without puffing your chest out too much) get to boast on your country and they love it.

Granted, it did take some real effort to learn to eat slowly. Frankly, I'm sometimes still challenged to take the usual one hour to eat a meal I could inhale in ten minutes and, once in a while, I do slip up, eating like a champion American. I can represent with the best! Further, I don't think I'll ever quite be able to do what some of them do - take two hours to eat a meal. Also, please don't tip. The only people that encourage that in Europe are the ones trying to rip you off at restaurants near tourist traps. Europeans do not tip. In fact, it can be taken as an insult if you tip them. They are paid well (far better than our waiters) and they generally won't even get to keep the tip money. (The management does.) You're not in Kansas, anymore. As the saying goes, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Try not to stuff your face as an American.
(Li Galo)
If you decided to travel at length, as I have in the Middle East, the Far East and now in Europe, prepare yourself to miss burgers. I mean, they try... All over the world, other people really do try to make our American burgers the way we do. But, they fail. They just do. You just won't get a decent burger until you're back on US soil. It's the way we try to make pizza in the US and fail. Or the way we try to get Chinese food right and fail. It's just not the same as they make it. Well, guess what? Other people can't get our burgers right either. It just is what it is. But, I'll tell you this much. As soon as my feet hit the soil of America, I'm headed to the first burger joint I can find, going to laugh as loud as I want, and I'm going to switch out my blouse and slacks for some good ol' t-shirt and jeans... white socks optional.

- Li Galo



** European Union laws require me to give European Union visitors information about cookies used on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require me to obtain consent. Continued reading of this blog means you give your consent. Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies, including use of Google Analytics and AdSense cookies are mandatory by Italian law. **

No comments:

Post a Comment